Lets face it, stuff breaks and stuff needs to get fixed. Keep a strong relationship with people who can help you, people who are reliable and know how to correct certain situations that might come up around your property. Here’s my list of important categories:
- Plumber – lets face it, when there’s poo overflowing into your tub or your crawl space, there’s not many people who would complain about $95 per hour. In the same way, when water is gushing all over your house, who do you call? The plumber is critical, make sure to pay them well, send them gifts, do whatever is necessary to keep them happy. Tip – don’t get upset at them when they are a few days late to your non emergency job. I have at least two plumbers I keep feeding work to at all times.
- Electrician – same as plumbers, but instead of poo your dealing with a deadly force called electricity. It pays to keep these contractors on your short list, and keep them happy. I never mind paying them $85 per hour to fix things that could literately kill me.
- General Contractor – great for jobs that are not suitable for a cheap handyman
- Painter – Nice to have a good painter that can professionally and quickly take care of an apartment or an exterior.
- Handyman – everything else that is by the hour, basically the incidentals that any of the contractors above would be overqualified to do. IE, lock changeout, smoke alarm install, basement or apartment cleanout.